Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Police Killings And The Thin Blue Line

I read this morning about a police officer that was trying to shoot a family dog and because of fear, poor training, or whatever, shoots a 4-year-old girl. This incident is just another in an appalling list of police shootings, mostly, but not limited to, black males. There are those who support police and seek all sorts of justifications for these shootings, usually blaming the victim, but their inability to see the problem points to one of the real problems we, as a society, face if we are to ever find a solution to this institutionalized gun violence.

That said, I want to make it perfectly clear that I am not anti-police. I fully understand the role of law enforcement in our society. One of my great treasures is the service weapon and badge of my Grandfather’s older brother Bill who served as a St. Louis police officer for 44 years. I grew up being taught, and I taught my children, to interact with police officers in a polite and friendly manner. As a youth I learned the lesson of not doing so.

During the course of my life and during my career as a trial lawyer I also came to know the most brutal, corrupt and dangerous human beings alive who also carried a badge. Over the years I have made hundreds of thousands of dollars in attorneys fees from suing police officers that violated the Constitutional rights of citizens. Many of these officers were repeat offenders, and thus, repeat payers.


The Thin Blue Line is a major part of the problem. Good officers who just want to protect and serve the community get caught in between a rock and a hard spot when faced with a senseless killing that they witness. If they tell the truth and it negatively impacts another officer they are no longer able to stay in the game. They are ostracized from their police society. When given the choice between telling the truth and getting an incompetent copper off the street and bringing justice to an aggrieved family, they must choose between their careers and the truth. Under these circumstances everybody loses.

No comments: